Monday, 21 February 2011

Stone Earns WHL Player of the Week Honours

Mark Stone has become the first Brandon Wheat King to garner the Western Hockey League Player of the Week award this season.

Stone had four goals and nine assists for 13 points in three games last week and now sits in a tie for third-place in the WHL scoring race with 86 points.

"I thought I had a pretty solid week, especially to my standards," says Stone, "For a gritty-type player to put up those kind of points, it's pretty special to me."

He needs 14 points in Brandon's final 11 games to become the first Wheat King to register 100 points in a season since Eric Fehr turned the trick in 2004-2005.

"I never thought about that. At the start of the season, if you said I'd be a point-per-game player, I'd take that in a heartbeat," says Stone, a sixth round pick of Ottawa in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, "To have this type of season, it's something special for me and I want to keep producing for the next 11 games and have a great playoff push."

The Wheat Kings have won 11 of their last 14 games, scoring 75 goals in that span (5.4 per game).

Brandon enters this week in seventh-place in the WHL's Eastern Conference, one point behind sixth-place Edmonton and three ahead of eighth-place Prince Albert.

The Wheat Kings return to action Wednesday when they visit the Saskatoon Blades.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce, by any chance are you doing the "Best of the East" poll again this year? Any idea when it will be coming out?

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Luber said...

Working on collecting the ballots back from the various teams.

If all goes according to plan/deadline, I should be able to publish sometime next week.

LUBER