Thursday, 24 February 2011

Melnychuk Set to Return Friday

The Brandon Wheat Kings will get a boost on their blueline Friday night when they play the second half of their doubleheader in Saskatoon.

Brodie Melnychuk is set to return after missing a month with a fractured left leg, an injury that caused him to miss the last 12 games.

“I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time now,” says Melnychuk, who has five goals and 25 points in 48 games this season, “When I got the news on my injury, it was kind of disappointing but I’ve gone back since then and got cleared three days ago so I’ve just been working to get back since.”

The Balgonie, Saskatchewan product had an interesting road to the diagnosis of his injury, which he played with for four games after being originally hurt in Saskatoon on January 11th.

“It was one of those things that nobody really had an idea what it was. Doctors were telling me it was a bone bruise and if I could handle the pain, I could play so I thought what the hell, I’ll play, and I did and it just kept getting worse and worse,” says Melnychuk, “Finally, I went back and they found the crack in the bone so I guess finding out it was broke was good for me, got my rest, got it healed up but at the time, it was kind of disappointing.”

The Wheat Kings have won nine of twelve games in Melnychuk’s absence and while Brandon’s young defence core has held up well, they are certainly anxious to get their most experienced presence back.

Melnychuk, who’s next game will be the 250th of his WHL career, feels he can help out the most by being strong in his own end.

“We’ve been outscoring a lot of teams and I think if I come back, we can maybe get a few against off the scoreboard and that’ll help out our forwards too,” says Melnychuk, “I’m just going to try and come back, play my game and try and keep some pucks out of the net. I’m not going to worry too much about the offence but it’s going to be a learning process all over again, it’s almost like a new year for me so I have to start from my own end and work my way out.”

Melnychuk’s return should help ease some of the minutes being absorbed by the Wheat Kings’ rookie defenceman, especially Ryan Pulock.

Pulock been averaging close to 28 minutes per game in Melnychuk’s absence and has shown some signs of wearing down in recent games.

Chaff…F Tyrel Seaman, who missed the last four games because of illness, practiced fully on Thursday while D Spencer Galbraith (shoulder, day-to-day) practiced in a no-contact jersey Thursday…Brandon is 7-2-0-0 in nine games this month despite allowing 36 goals against, with goaltenders Corbin Boes and Liam Liston having a combined .859 save percentage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A 9and 3 record without him enought said .Sit and watch some more .

Luber said...

I knew there'd be someone out there that would make a comment like this.

IMO, anyone that thinks the Wheat Kings are a better team without Melnychuk in the lineup than with him in the lineup should give their head a shake.

Anonymous said...

They won 16 0f there first 50 with him in the line up do the math and give your head a shake.

Luber said...

By that math, Brandon was also 0-and-2 with Brayden Schenn in their lineup.

Good thing we got rid of that bum!