Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Wheat Kings Say Good-Bye to Vandenberghe

The Brandon Wheat Kings said good-bye to assistant coach Mike Vandenberghe earlier this week.

Vandenberghe was with the club until assistant Dwayne Gylywoychuk was able to return to his full-time duties after suffering a fractured vertebra in early August.

Gylywoychuk has now been back on the bench on a full-time basis for the past couple of weeks.

"I enjoyed my time, learned a lot and got to see the inner running of things and learned some stuff myself so I felt it was a very valuable experience," said Vandenberghe earlier this week, "I feel that if I get an opportunity to work in this league that I can do it."

Vandenberghe was head coach of the Notre Dame Hounds of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League from 2003 to 2008, and most recently was head coach of Team Western for the 2010 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and an assistant with the University of Regina Cougars.

The former Wheat Kings' defenceman so he has no immediate plans for the future.

"I'll head home and see what happens. Kelly (McCrimmon) has expressed interest in me still doing some stuff with the organization so that's a possibility," says Vandenberghe, "We'll just wait and see what happens and see what it looks like out there."

In recent years, Vandenberghe also designed hockey software called the Sports Performance Analyzer, which he continues to develop and market.

"We're still working on stuff with our software with teams in the American League and teams in the Western League that are using our product now," says Vandenberghe, "There's some more research to go into it. We're really excited about the upcoming year, which starts in March for us, the sales season. With the new product we have out and we have new versions coming out of our old products so we think this could be a very good year for us."

For more information on the hockey software products available, visit www.spa-hockey.com or www.hightechhockey.com.

2 comments:

leafsfan said...

in my opinion the wrong coach has left .

leafsfan said...

I will put it ncie since my last comment probaly got nixed ,all im saying is that out of the asst coaches there Mike i think was the best one .