Saturday, 11 December 2010

Boes Bouncing Back

Brandon Wheat Kings' goaltender Corbin Boes is slowly regaining his confidence.

The 17-year old rookie went through a stretch in late October and early November where he allowed 15 goals in seven periods of action.

Boes had a 2.55 goals against average and .908 save percentage in his last four appearances including a 25 save effort in Wednesday's shootout loss to Everett.

"I went through a rough patch during the B.C. Trip and, when we got back, Kelly (McCrimmon) just told us that practice is huge for me, being young, and that's where I'd develop the most," says the 6-foot-2, 195 pound Boes, "I've been making some great strides in practice and working hard with goalie coach Matt Cockell."

Listed by the Wheat Kings last spring, Boes had a 3.50 goals against average with his hometown Saskatoon Blazers in the Saskatchewan AAA Midget Hockey League last season.

Part of the five-headed goaltender monster early in the season, Boes won his spot with strong play in the pre-season and in his first two starts during the first couple of weeks of the WHL regular season.

"I just had to realize that I made this team, and that I fit in in this league," says Boes, "During that B.C. trip, my confidence was low but during the practices, I've been getting my confidence up."

Overall this season, Boes has a 3.74 GAA and .876 SPCT and is still looking for his first WHL victory, sporting an 0-5-2 record.

The Wheat Kings are back in action Saturday night as they entertain the Kootenay Ice (7:30 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

Chaff...Saturday's game features the annual Shoppers Mall Brandon Teddy Bear Toss. The toques, mitts and stuffed toys collected will be donated to the Brandon Christmas Cheer Board. Close to 25,000 items have been collected since the Wheat Kings started the holiday tradition in 1994.

No comments: