Thursday, 14 October 2010

Favreau Looks for Fresh Start

Dominick Favreau was looking for a clean slate, and may have found it in Sunday's trade to the Brandon Wheat Kings.

The 18-year old Favreau was acquired from the Regina Pats for 20-year old defenceman Mark Schneider and is expected to make his Brandon debut on Friday night when the Wheat Kings entertain the Swift Current Broncos (7:30 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

In Favreau, the Wheat Kings get a player who was once highly touted, being selected 13th overall by the Pats in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

They also get a player who, admittedly, needed a change of scenery.

"I was real excited once they told me I was coming here," says the 5-foot-10, 185 pound Favreau, "It's a winning organization and I'm just happy to get a fresh start here and maybe put some points up this year."

The Martensville, Saskatchewan product has notched just three goals and eight points in 114 career WHL games so to expect him to turn into a front-line player overnight might be pushing it.

"He's a guy that, at this point, in need of a change," said Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon the day the deal was announced, "I don't things have gone for him in Regina like a lot of people expected so we'll give him an opportunity."

"Coming to a new place, no one really knows what you can do," adds Favreau, who'll wear #22 with the Wheat Kings, "You kind start on a clean slate here, and I'm really excited to see what I can do here."

Favreau's arrival in Brandon came just two days after the Wheat Kings acquired another forward from Regina, adding Hampus Gustafsson to their lineup in exchange for a sixth round pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft.

Gustafsson made his Wheat Kings' debut last Saturday, drawing an assist on Brandon's lone goal in their 3-1 loss to the Tri-City Americans.

"I think it's a great honour for me to come here. I know this is a winning tradition team and a first-class organization," said Gustafsson after practice earlier this week, "When things weren't working out for me like I wanted to in Regina and I got the call I was coming here; I was very excited to come here."

The 5-foot-9, 176 pound Gustafsson had one goal and four points in seven games with the Pats this season after scoring 14 goals and 33 points in 61 games last season.

After wearing #12 in his Wheat Kings' debut on Saturday, he'll be switching to #13 - the same number he wore with Regina.

Chaff…Friday's game is the first of eight head-to-head meetings between the Wheat Kings and Swift Current this season. Last season, Brandon won four of six meetings with the Broncos including all three at Westman Communications Group Place. In addition, the Wheat Kings eliminated Swift Current in four games in the first round of the Western Hockey League playoffs...The last time Brandon lost five consecutive games was October 19-26, 2007.

No comments: