Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Jory Back in Action after Career-Threatening Injury

Quite a comeback story for Brandon product Kurt Jory.

The former Wheat King was back in action with the Brock Badgers this past weekend, his first game action since suffering a severed pulmonary vein nearly 22 months ago.

"Coming into the game, I kept thinking about how long it had been and I was kind of second-guessing myself that way," says Jory, who spent the 2005-2006 and part of the 2006-07 season with the Wheat Kings, "Once I was able to calm those nerves, get in the net and realize that I've done it a thousand times before, it felt really normal."

Jory was injured in an Ontario University Athletics hockey game on November 29, 2008 when his Brock Badgers were visiting the Windsor Lancers.

Surgery, rehabilitation and multiple visits to the doctor became commonplace for Jory after the next 18 months before he was given medical clearance to return to the ice last spring.

"It was kind of up to me at that point to see if I could get back to where I was when I left the game," says the 6-foot-0, 185 pound Jory, "It has definitely been a long, daunting process but I think it's really made me stronger and helped me realize the little things in life."

The 23-year old Jory admits the range of motion in his right shoulder still not 100 percent but says he made some blocker saves up high over the weekend that maybe surprised even him.

"The nerves to my right shoulder were severed with the skate...I'm not able to lift it up all the way yet but it really hasn't cause me any problems on the ice," says Jory, "As far as pain goes, it's not really a pain issue, it's more restricted movement and that sort of thing."

Jory was not wearing a neck guard at the time of the injury but does now, as do all players in the CIS as it has now become mandatory.

Jory also had a chance to give back a little to some of those who provided his care during the incident, doing a promotional ad for the Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital in Windsor. You can see the video here...

This past weekend, Jory saw action in three games with Brock, stopping 66 of 72 shots (.917 SPCT) including 30 of 34 shots in Brock's 5-1 loss to Guelph in the final of the RBC Steel Blade tournament in St. Catherines, Ontario.

Jory gets to come back to his home province this coming weekend, as the Badgers are in Winnipeg for a pair of pre-season games against the Manitoba Bisons on Friday and Saturday.

No comments: