Friday, 3 September 2010

Darkhorse Hoping to Stick it Out

One of the darkhorses at the Brandon Wheat Kings' training camp is 18-year old forward Jon Gaudet.

Gaudet (right) spent the past two seasons with the Vincent Massey Trojans of the Winnipeg High School Hockey League, notching 26 goals and 55 points in 27 games last season.

"I was just trying to come out here and see what the WHL is like," says the 6-foot-1, 180 pound Gaudet, "I haven't really been to any camps in my life so I was out here just to see what the fuss was all about."

Gaudet is one of just 10 unlisted players that survived Rookie Camp and moved on to main camp, which began Friday morning.

He didn't look out of place in the first scrimmage of main camp Friday morning, scoring a pair of goals for the Gold Team in a 6-5 loss to the Black squad.

"Yeah, I feel that as long I have the right linemates," says Gaudet, who went to camp with the MJHL's Winnipeg Saints late last month, "They get me used to the pace and used to the game style they like to play...it helps out a lot."

Gaudet will have at least one more scrimmage to try and impress and the Winnipeg product says he'll hopes to continue doing what he can to stick around.

"I have to fire the puck on net and hope that it goes in," says Gaudet, "I just have to keep on scoring some more goals and doing the best I can to try and impress the coaches."

The Wheat Kings have another scrimmage slated for Friday night at 6:30 p.m. at Westman Communications Group Place.

Chaff...David Toews, 20, saw his first action of training camp Friday morning and scored a goal for the Black Team...G Liam Liston is not taking part in Friday's scrimmages and is day-to-day with a groin pull...Saturday's scrimmages are at 9:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., with camp concluding with the intrasquad game on Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.

No comments: