Friday, 25 June 2010

Big Weekend for WK Pair

A pair of Brandon Wheat Kings are hoping Saturday will be a big day for them.

Mark Stone and Michael Ferland are both expected to be mid-to-late round picks in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft in Los Angeles.

Stone (left) was 119th among North American skaters in the final rankings by NHL Central Scouting but a more favourable 97th overall in the June edition of the Red Line Report.

"I'll be rather nervous, I think, on Saturday," says Stone, whose brother Michael was chosen in the third round by Phoenix in 2008, "It's an exciting time, obviously, but you don't want to get your expectations up too high because you don't want to be disappointed at the end result. We'll see what happens over the next couple of days and, hopefully, it works out."

Stone had 11 goals and 28 points in 39 regular season games this past season after missing the bulk of the first two months with a broken thumb.

He added one goal and four points in 15 playoff contests.

"No matter who it is, it'll be an absolute thrill and be the biggest moment since I've played hockey," adds Stone, "I've been a Leaf fan for a while so that would be cool but I'm really just hoping to go to any team."

Ferland, meanwhile, was ranked 146th among North American Skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Service but has been on the radar of many NHL teams thanks to his blend of physical play and scoring ability.

"I'm very excited...I can't wait for Saturday to get going," says Ferland, "I'll probably be at home watching it and, hopefully, I hear my name get called."

Ferland had nine goals and 28 points in 61 games in his rookie season with Brandon, adding three goals and four points in 15 playoff games.

"Two years ago, I was playing AAA Midget and not even expecting to play with the Wheat Kings," says Ferland, "Now, I'm going to get a chance to hear my name called in the NHL Draft...I didn't expect this to happen at all."

Ferland also says he's going to try and keep his expectations as low as possible.

In addition to Stone and Ferland, there has been some discussion as well about Wheat Kings' rookie Brenden Walker getting some attention on draft day.

The first round of the NHL Entry Draft is Friday night, with the subsequent six rounds taking place on Saturday.

No comments: