Thursday, 20 May 2010

Future in Net Bright

Brandon Wheat Kings' goaltender Liam Liston will have his season continue next month.

Liston is one of five Under-18 goaltenders invited to attend Hockey Canada's program of excellence goaltending camp in Calgary.

"Definitely, a big stepping stone," says Liston, "There are five Under-18 goalies going there from across the country and I'm lucky enough to be one of them. Definitely an experience I'm sure a lot of guys would love to have and I'm just lucky enough to be going."

Liston spent the majority of this season with St. Albert, where he led the Alberta Midget Hockey League with a 2.23 goals against average and was named winner of the Bill Ranford Trophy as the league's top goaltender.

He is currently serving as Brandon's third string goaltender at the Memorial Cup, and has been with the team for the last six weeks.

Liston says working with WHL veterans Jacob De Serres and Andrew Hayes has been very educational.

"Just teaching me how to prepare myself. Obviously, I have a little bit of a different situation with not having to prepare to play but just using the most of my practice time," says Liston, "Every time I'm on the ice, using it to get better and picking one or two things a day to really get better at, and just the opportunity to watch them."

No comments: