Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Rajala Enjoying First WHL Post-Season

The Brandon Wheat Kings have had seven players experience Western Hockey League playoff hockey for the first time so far this spring.

Among them is Finnish import Toni Rajala, who notched his first career WHL playoff goal in Saturday's Game #2 victory.

"It's a little bit faster, and I think I'm being a little bit stronger, laid a couple of hits," says Rajala, "I like playoff hockey...it's an unreal experience every time."

Rajala is facing an international teammate in this series with Saskatoon.

Blades' defenceman Jyri Niemi and Rajala played together on Team Finland at the World Junior Hockey Championship the past two years.

"I talk to (Jyri) a couple times a month and he's good guy and I like him," says Rajala, "But, of course, I want to beat him."

Niemi was the Finnish captain at the 2010 WJC, which was held in Regina and Saskatoon.

Chaff...Brandon D Darren Bestland continues to be absent from practice, missing the Wheat Kings' 45-minute session on Monday...16-year old D Jordan Fransoo is sticking around for a few more days. The club has said initially when they called him up that he would only be around through last week...ex Wheat King Tyler Plante was named the AHL Player of the Week Monday. Plante was 3-0 with a 1.30 GAA and .961 SPCT last week

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's going on with Bestland?

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce
Do u know why Bestland wasn't at practice?

Luber said...

In playoffs, WHL teams are not required to disclose injuries. My philosophy is that if I can make an educated guess based on my own observations, I will do so. With Bestland, I can't do that yet and I won't speculate. The best I can do at this time is keep you informed on whether or not he's expected to play.