Friday, 2 April 2010

Hamonic Ready for Round Two

The Brandon Wheat Kings and Saskatoon Blades face off Friday night in Game #1 of their WHL Eastern Conference Semifinal (7:35 p.m., CKLQ).

It’s the first time Brandon defenceman Travis Hamonic has been beyond the first round of the playoffs in his WHL career and the St. Malo, Manitoba product is enjoying the ride so far.

“It’s pretty excited. To make the battle and the climb through the playoffs is going to be tough but we’ll take it round-by-round,” says Hamonic, who scored his first two WHL playoff goals in the first round against Swift Current, “It’s nice that we went out in the first round and got the sweep and guys like myself got some rest. We’re looking forward to (the next series).”

The matchup with Saskatoon is expected to be a physical and high-energy affair, something Hamonic feels is right up his alley.

“I think my style of play suits the playoffs. I definitely enjoy throwing the body and I enjoy having a challenge out there every shift,” says Hamonic, “I really want to be a defensive-minded presence and want to bring the physical element to the game. Hopefully, guys can be aware that I’m on the ice, I can throw a big hit or just play the body, I think that’s going to be good.”

The Wheat Kings and Blades have met seven times in the WHL playoffs with Brandon winning four of those.

However, the last time the two teams met was in 2002.

Chaff…Former Wheat King Tyler Plante named AHL Goaltender of Month for March. Plante had a 1.88 goals against average, a .942 save percentage and two shutouts in nine appearances with Rochester.

No comments: