Friday, 5 March 2010

Hamonic Set for Former Team

Travis Hamonic faces his former team for the first time Friday night when they Brandon Wheat Kings entertain the Moose Jaw Warriors (7:30 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

Hamonic was acquired from the Warriors on January 10th but didn't play for seven weeks because of a separated shoulder.

"Those guys are a lot of my best friends over there and they know me really well so there's going to be no secret of things I do on the ice and there might be some things they say to try and get me off my game," says the St. Malo, Manitoba product, "They're a hard-working team over there but, at the end of the day, I'm no this side of the rink now and I'm a Brandon Wheat King so there's no friendships out there for me."

Hamonic has played the past five games with the Wheat Kings, registering a pair of assists but has looked more and more comfortable in each outing.

"Each game comes along, I'm getting more icetime and more responsibility and I think I'm doing good with that added pressure on my shoulders," says Hamonic, "I'm the kind of guy that likes to go out there and tackle an obstacle and challenge. It's nice to have the opportunity to play against my old team when I'm confident about my game, I know I'm going to get the ice and I can be a factor out there."

Friday's game will also be the first time Dallas Ehrhardt plays against the Wheat Kings since he was dealt to Moose Jaw in the Hamonic deal.

Ehrhardt is pointless in eight games with the Warriors.

Chaff...F Mark Stone participated in practice Thursday in a no-contact jersey, but it's still a positive step in his return quest to return from a concussion suffered on February 19...Oakbank product Quinton Howden, who leads the Warriors in scoring, wiull be sidelined 4-6 weeks after suffering a broken collarbone while Warrriors' defenceman Dylan McIlrath, a Winnipeg product, is day-to-day with an upper body injury...F Jay Fehr will play his 250th career game tonight. Fehr has 80 goals and 226 points in his career...F Shayne Wiebe will play his 200th career game tonight. Wiebe has 63 goals and 130 points in his career...Fans attending Friday’s game are encouraged to stop by one of the two Tim Hortons concourse displays before the game or during the intermission for a chance to win an autographed Limited Edition Sidney Crosby framed photo. To enter, fans need to purchase a $2 ticket, with all of the proceeds going to Helping Hands of Brandon.

No comments: